Saturday, June 14, 2008

More this and that

My garden was looking so nice, growing incredibly fast...until...the worm!! Some sort of worm has gotten into the stalk part of all the pumpkins, zuchinni and cucumbers! As I mentioned earlier (I think) I sprayed with a pesticide but, I think the damage is done and I will lose all my vegetables. I feel like Jonah-cursing the worm that ate the vine that provided shade! I'll bet it was the same worm! Anyway, when I went out to check the garden this morning-I saw the one zuchinni that had actually formed is now all shriveled up! Who knew that the plants could look healthy one day and dead the next...ok, farmers and gardeners know...apparantly not me! So far it looks like the tomatoes are doing well-there are several green ones on the vine ripening. I guess I'll have to go to the Farmer's Market to get some good veggies this summer.
Friday I went to the NewGate mission store-it's like goodwill but the proceeds go to a mission funded by the Methodist church. They have a brand new over sized leather chair that matches the chair we already have in the LR. I was so excited about this find-we've been looking for something like that for the office. Unfortunately they have not priced it yet and it won't be until Monday morning. I have no clue how much they'll ask for it but, I'm hoping to be there when they open to pick it up if it isn't too expensive!
It rained this morning which will prevent Calixto from getting a lot of work accomplished today. Christopher had soccer practice as scheduled-I was surprised at that! He'll come home with soaked and stinky shoes and socks. He needed the rigerous exercise though so I'm glad they didn't cancel!
Last night we gave Calixto his Father's day present early-it is a large cross that holds 5 5x7 pictures. I put in all black and white photos of the kids and him with the kids. I love the way it turned out and he thought it was the best present ever! The only thing is I'm not in any of the pictures-I just couldn't find one that worked well-so he kind of looks like a single dad! This afternoon we are off to Dallas to visit with his family. Which means I need to get Cat into the bath to do her hair-it's going to take forever since I haven't combed it all week!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Sorry to hear about your vegetable garden! I wonder if you knew what kind of worm it was if you could google and find out if there is some natural remedy for killing thoes worms... I once had a beautiful lincoln (sp?)rose plant that died for the same reason. I was so diappointed. But a whole garden would be even more disappointing. I just hope there is some way to fix it for the next crop.