Thursday, May 15, 2008

Rucker and my conscience!

ok, I did something today...I felt bad about at first but then came to the understanding I'm not responsible...
You know the dog that keeps coming to our house? And I keep putting him in our back yard until the neighbor picks him up? Well, last night he wandered over, the owner was on his way out of town for a business trip and won't be back until Tues. He called his nephew (a high-schooler) to pick up the dog, well he didn't show up until 9:00. I told him I'd call on his cell if Rucker came back. This afternoon he showed up again! This time he pushed our side door open and came on in the house...luckily he didn't spot Tilly or the house would have been a disaster not to mention what would have happened to Tilly! I put him in the back yard as usual...but, he stepped on my pepper plant in my garden one too many times and...I...opened the gate and let him loose!!! I just let him go...to run away, or get hit, or get stolen and turned into a fighting dog!! I'm not going to feel responsible for this dog any longer!!
Ok...at least I'm trying not to feel responsible!!!

3 comments:

The Peacock Pearl said...

the guys said it cost him every time to pick him up at the pound right??... i say keep sending him there, if he doesn't want to pay, he's going to have to chain him up. he can't expect to be gone for days on end and just leave the dog for you to take care of. seriously don't feel bad.

Stephanie said...

I feel your empathy. :) A friend of ours started feeding a stray dog that came by their house. One day while they were gone the dog attacked and killed the next door neighbors dog. This dog was a big puppy and the other dog was tiny. They think it was more of an accident but she felt horrible. It's always risky taking dogs that don't belong to us but being a pet owner I feel bad for dogs that get away.

uncle lew said...

It's a pit bull what is the man thinking letting it run the street??? You have done more than enough so don't feel bad about it.
It is the man's responsibility so let him pay to get it from the pound every time and maybe he will fix a place that he can't get out.
If it bites someone and the people say but it was at YOUR house so you have to pay THEN YOU WILL FEEL
BAD.