Thursday, January 11, 2007

Today is my brother's birthday...he would have been 43! I wanted to post a picture but the only digital pictures I have of him are when he was sick, I didn't want to post one of those...because they don't reflect who he was! He was not characterized by being pale, weak and thin, as he looked at the end. In fact his face was usually red from doing year round construction work in the cold wind in the winter and the sun in the summer! He was a big guy with a big voice and he was anything but weak!
I have so many memories of us together as we were only 21 mos apart and in the same grade. He taught me how to whistle and how to blow a bubble with bubble gum. At school, he ate the parts of my lunch I didn't like, and showed me it was best to eat the food you don't like first and save the best for last! We skipped school together when we were late for the bus, hiding in one of my dad's old dump trucks. We ended up staying in there for hours as we waited for my mom to go to work, apparantly she went in late that particular morning! He also helped me climb in his window and hide in his closet when he stayed home sick from school, I can't remember why I skipped?! Ok maybe we didn't always make the wisest choices back then!!
He took me to Disney World with him and a friend after picking me up from college and he paid for everything! He seemed to always have money, as he always had a job. His first job as a kid was a paperboy. He got up early every morning for years to fold and then throw papers. Man, I hated it when he got sick because my sister and I would have to take over for him, ugh! I remember he was dearly loved by all of his customers (both him and his dog)! He certainly was a hard worker. But, he also loved to watch television...we took our lives in our hands if we ever changed the channel on him, ouch! I learned this the hard way as I didn't want to watch Spiderman anymore one particular day...I did indeed change the channel, a decision I later regretted!!
As we both grew spiritually we were able to talk about spiritual matters, church and serving God. He humbly shared Christ with others much more than I ever have! People listened to him and responded. God certainly used him to influence people's lives for the Kingdom.
Bruce had a huge impact on my life! He wasn't perfect and neither was our relationship, in fact he could really be a mean big brother, especially when we were little and I was the annoying baby sister! But, I am grateful for his precense in my life as my big brother. It was comforting and reassuring to know he was right there to protect me if needed. I do miss him and wish we could continue to grow up together. I went to his grave while I was home and that was hard! I didn't expect the tears to flow, it was not easy to see his name and his dates etched in granite...so permanent, so final!
But...Praise God that his name is also permanently etched on Christs' palm and in the book of Life!! What a time he must be having up there with our Savior! Happy Birthday Bruce!

5 comments:

The Peacock Pearl said...

thanks for sharing your precious memories with us

Roni said...

Thanks Brenda. That was really nice. I really miss him today too, but I decided No tears today. I have so many good memories floating around in my head that I have been smiling all day. It is funny how so many people can have so many different memories of one person. Everyone loved and respected the man Bruce had become. I am sure he is having a great birthday.
Roni

Stephanie said...

It's fun hearing your memories. It makes me think of the future with Jo and Amara. I had no idea you were such a trouble maker. :)

How priceless are our memories. Hope you are continually blessed by them.

Brenda Arce said...

Me the trouble maker...you must have me confused with my older sister!!

Ginger said...

Brenda,
Even though I never meet Bruce, the tears fell as I read your posting. It was good to know more about him. How blessed you have been to have had a brother like Bruce. You said you wished you could have continued to grow up together. Praise God that you will have all eternity to grow together. We will look back and this time on earth will be just a drop in the bucket. God bless you, Brenda and Happy Birthday, Bruce!