Monday, June 11, 2007

3 babies and 10 puppies!!
Congratulations to the Crowes on their new little boy, born a little over a week ago and to the Forringers on their little guy, born yesterday and to the Nines who had a baby girl this morning. Here are the stats from Jeff:
"We just had our second beautiful daughter.... she's the cutest little thing you ever saw.
Name: Makenna Leigh Nine
Weight: 9 lbs. 9 oz.
Length: 22.5 in
Date / Time: June 12, 2007 - 12:30a
For more information: I'm sure Cheri will get you more details at a later time. Feel free to email or call us anytime... I'm sure we'll be up. :)"

Finally, our dog, Chessie had her puppies today. (Stephanie, she kindly waited until you delivered!!) Tomorrow is her actual due date at 63 days gestation but, this morning she was panting a little bit too much for first thing in the morning, so I figured something was up. She kept leaving the porch to lay in a hole that she kept digging out. I forced her back onto the porch and locked her in...I did not want the puppies born in the dirt under a bush. Around 1:00 I just happened to go look in on her and she was in the pool circling around. I saw evidence of her impending birthing so I called the owner of the male we bred her with and then I called Felicia (my dog breeding friend) The first puppy (a chocolate) was born and Chessie didn't quite know what to do, I think it kind of scared her a bit, but her intincts quickly took over just like Felicia told me they would. Several of them were born in pretty quick succession but then she took a 1/2 hour break, then a puppy then another 40 minute break. At that point she had had 8 puppies and we thought she was finished. She got up and walked around outside for a little bit I went inside for something and Christopher came in yelling she's having another one...sure enough number 9 came out. At that point we thought surely she is finished now...nope, 50 minutes later came number 10-another chocolate! So she had puppies from 1:15 until 5:30! Felicia was great help over the phone and our neighbor and owner of the father, Julie came and helped out.
She has 8 yellow labs and 2 chocolate labs. 7 are male and 3 are female. The lab we bred her with is black and we didn't get one black one! Anyway, it was such a cool experience! Each puppy was born a little differently, some head first some feet first some in sacks some out...it certainly isn't an experience for the weak of stomach, it is pretty gross!! Catherine watched all of the births and Christopher was there for 5 of them. Chessie did a great job! It is amazing how God made animals with instincts and they just "know" what to do!
For some reason the pictures wouldn't post so I'll do that tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'll be able to sleep, I keep wanting to check on them!! I'm exhausted and still feeling bad from my cold...goodnight!

2 comments:

The Peacock Pearl said...

oh my gosh, i can't believe she had two more after i talked to you!!! i was hoping for pictures... hurry hurry! oh, and the nine's! that's awesome... hey, tell cheri she needs a blog! :)

Stephanie said...

Wow, I wish I could have watched! :) She's so thoughtful to wait for me. I should bring her a present!